Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Connecting the Dots: Minelie Asadorian Masihi


From time to time local high school students have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience by volunteering with the Community Development Department. Meet Minelie Asadorian Masihi, a recent volunteer at our Building & Safety Division.

By: Minelie Asadorian Masihi

As the U.S. economy experienced a downward spiral, job opportunities dwindled. Many well-educated citizens with college degrees struggled to find suitable jobs, but I was fortunate enough as a teenager to be given the opportunity to volunteer for the City of Glendale's Building and Safety Division where I was eventually hired as a part-time worker. 

I had met many pessimistic individuals who were giving misleading and narrow-minded advice to teenagers, urging us to avoid office jobs and instead suggesting that teens only belonged in retail jobs. Working at Building and Safety proved the exact opposite. Not only did this job give me the opportunity and knowledge to provide for my financial needs on my own, but it also offered me experience working in an office environment. There, I had the chance to meet successful people who motivated me to make education a priority. Working for this department has been a motivation for me strive to ascend to higher positions in the future.

The best factor that will be on my resume in the future will be the fact that my first job was working I have worked in this type of department. The Building and Safety Division deserves to be recognized as one of the most involved, helpful and most caring agencies of the City of Glendale.  As a result, I would recommend that other cities and departments use them as an example of getting involved in the community for a chance to improve our rapidly changing country.

Note: Minelie Asadorian Masihi is a Glendale resident and started attending Glendale Community College this Fall.

About "Connecting the Dots"
The Community Development Department prides itself in providing a broad spectrum of high quality services to anyone seeking assistance from our team. Developers, teachers, homeowners, contractors, high school students, Realtors and kindergartners are just a few of the people that come into contact with our staff on a regular basis. We help you build your home or start a business. We help you get involved in your community and we help improve the quality of life in your neighborhood. "Connecting the Dots" is all about the people we serve.